Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Octopuses

It seems that octopuses have become "hot." I've seen more articles and mentions of the sea creature in the past year than I have in my entire life up to this point. What I've learned about them is amazing.

Most of what I've discovered has come from a book written by New Hampshire's own Sy Montgomery, The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness [594.56 MON, also AB/CD 594.56 MON]. The book was a finalist for the National Book Award for Nonfiction in 2015. It is well-written, interesting, and challenged me to think about how humans think about animals--not surprisingly, we are way off base about their intelligence and capabilities.

Since I work during the day, I don't tune into "Science Friday" on NPR, so I missed learning about "Cephalopod Week 2016," which took place last month. Through friends on Facebook, I was alerted to the fact that octopuses are, as I said before, "hot." Hot enough for a whole week to be devoted to them on the radio!

Click on the "Cephalopod Week 2016" link above and you'll find more information than you can process in a week. Plus, there are informative videos, including this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment