Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, August 26, 2016

Poetry Friday--Happy National Dog Day!

Who doesn't love a dog? Even cat people can appreciate the loyalty and love expressed by a dog. Today, August 26, is National Dog Day, so let's celebrate with a poem!

Would it surprise anyone to know that we have at least 10 poetry books that have "dog" in the title, and dozens, perhaps hundreds more that contain individual poems about dogs.


For today, I've found a poem by Joyce Sidman in the young adult collection, The World According to Dog: Poems and Teen Voices [YA 810.8 WOR]:
Dog in Bed

Nose tucked under tail,
you are a warm, furred planet
centered in my bed.
All night I orbit, tangle-limbed,
in the slim space
allotted to me.

If I accidentally
bump you from sleep,
you shift, groan,
drape your chin on my hip.

O, that languid, movie-star drape!
I can never resist it.
Digging my fingers into your fur,
kneading,
     I wonder:
How do you dream?
What do you adore?
Why should your black silk ears
feel like happiness?

This is how it is with love.
Once invited,
it steps in gently,
circles twice,
and takes up as much space
as you will give it.
Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe is hosting this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up.

18 comments:

  1. I still need to find that "warm, furred planet", Diane, and I didn't know Friday was National Dog Day. As you know the family has said goodbye to two beloved dogs this year, time for choosing the next ones! This is lovely, and you're right, there are many dog books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always hard saying goodbye, but there's enough love inside to make another dog's life a happy one. Good luck with your search!

      Delete
  2. Our dog was a farm dog, not a bed dog - but he still took up such an enormous space in our hearts and lives, especially for such a small dog. We too have had a sad dog year, saying goodbye to our beloved JontyPuppy. I am very much a dog person - but not ready for anotherie, yet. Still savouring the memories of our Jonty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grief, too, takes time.

      Delete
  3. I love Mary Oliver's dog poems too. I had missed this one. I love that slim space allotted, that movie star drape. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I featured Dog Songs a while back. Click here.

      Delete
  4. Love that ending! And the bit about the black silk ears. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs and cats have the best soft fur behind their ears!

      Delete
  5. I just "discovered" this book while researching Joyce for the NCTE Poets series! What a lovely, lovely poem. Joyce is a master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and that whole last stanza, alone, is a masterpiece.

      Delete
  6. While I have never had a dog-husband has allergies-I love this poem and am sure my pet owner friends will too. Thanks, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who has ever had a pet will see themselves in it!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely, masterfully crafted poem! I, too, especially love that last stanza and how it moves the poem into another dimension. Just yesterday I discovered two wonderful EB White dog poems and also the sweetest letter to his wife, which he penned as if written by their dog. Dog poetry must be in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "O, that languid, movie-star drape!" Isn't that great?! As much as I'm a cat person, the thought of having a canine companion has been seriously growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't have a dog of our own, but do have a grand-dog. This poem reminds me of him--the black and silky Cooper... especially the "languid movie star drape" and love, taking up as much room as you'll give it. Lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I for one do not think it is a coincidence that dog is god spelled backwards. Joyce knows why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that last stanza! Great poem to share in honor of our beloved pets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh those black silk ears...my dog's best feature, and nice to read about them on another furred planet.

    ReplyDelete