Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Poetry Friday--Filmed Poetry?

All this week I've been posting about films and television series based on books. I figured I should end the week with movies made from poetry. Truthfully, I can't think of any, other than The Odyssey, Homer's poem, which have been filmed as major motion pictures. The 1954 movie, Ulysses [DVD ULY], starring Kirk Douglas, is based on The Odyssey, as is O Brother, Where Art Thou? starring George Clooney [DVD OBR]. They are rather "loosely based" on the epic. And speaking of "loosely based," there was The Simpson's episode in season 1 [DVD SIM]:




Everyone knows about Homer's (the poet's) work, but I wonder how many people have actually read the epic? I haven't--have you? So, for today, here's a little segment to pique your interest in reading more:



From The Odyssey of Homer, rendered into English Verse (Book XIII), translated by George Augustus Schomberg, published 1879.

We have copies of The Odyssey in various formats--books of verse, audiobooks, adaptations for children, and graphic novels.

For the Poetry Friday Round-Up, stop by Today's Little Ditty and tell Michelle I said, "Hi!"






7 comments:

  1. Yep. You certainly piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sit took me a moment to get the leap from Homer's The Odyssey to Homer Simpson and then to Bart singing John Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have! I read the Odyssey as part of a mythology class I took in college. Thoroughly enjoyed it, I might add. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember. I think I have, but it's lost in the labyrinths of memory. I may have to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I read the Odyssey in ninth grade, along with the Iliad and many of Shakespeare's works that year. Once I got into the swing of the language, I really enjoyed them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of those classics that I know of and about, but honestly can't say I've actually read....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't recall if I've read it or not, but I'm pretty sure I've at least read portions of it. When reading works like this, I agree with Donna, there's a transition into the "swing of the language." Working through that transition offers sweet rewards!

    ReplyDelete