Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, November 18, 2016

Poetry Friday--"Gobbledy-Gobble"

Next Thursday, as we all know, is Thanksgiving Day, one of the truly all-American holidays. Who doesn't love a juicy roast turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, and a few favorite side-dishes? I'll tell you who--the turkey!


For today I have a poem by Felice Holman, from Thanksgiving Poems, selected by Myra Cohn Livingston [J 808.81 THA]:
Gobbledy-Gobble

How they laughed!

"He's so scrawny.
Scrawny! Scrawny!"
they taunt me.
"Not handsome and brawny.
He's ugly as sin."


So gobbledy-gob-
ble, I'm not with the mob
because of the shape that I'm in.
"The worst on the block.
A disgrace to the flock."
"
They're ashamed to admit
they're my kin.

Well, sometimes they hurt
""Twould be nice to be purt-
y.), but common sense says
"You're a winner."
For on Thanksgiving Day
they have all gone away
to be somebody's good-looking dinner.
If you'll excuse a little self-promotion, I'd like to remind you that the off-off-off-off-etc. Broadway musical adaption of Run, Turkey, Run! by Diane Mayr (me) [JP MAY] is taking place this Saturday and Sunday at the Seacoast Repertory Theatre in Portsmouth, NH (their website was down earlier, here's the phone #603-433-4472). I guarantee kids will enjoy the music and the mayhem!

Brenda at Friendly Fairy Tales is hosting the Poetry Friday Round-Up.

12 comments:

  1. Diane, love the gobble-de-hook for the play. Hope it's a smash-hit! Great poem, too. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda, and the same to you!

      Delete
  2. That's wonderful about the play, Diane. Congratulations! I love the way the poem is configured, and it's fun to read! My brother ran a non-profit for animals for many years and saved a turkey once that flew off a truck going to market. It was in the news, and became his resident turkey until old age took him. It's a good time to have a few thoughts for turkeys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your story, Linda. Have you thought about in terms of a picture book?

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Diane! Poor turkey, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope yours is lovely!

      Delete
  4. Hey, we have the same Thanksgiving dinner here in Canada too, you know! I'll have to look it up, but we probably stole the idea from you guys, though... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not stolen, just a practical solution to feeding a bunch of guests!

      Delete
  5. Run, Turkey, Run was a perennial favorite with my first graders! How fun to have it on stage! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly, I appreciate hearing your first graders enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. Wish I was there to enjoy the music and mayhem, too!

    ReplyDelete