Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, December 02, 2016

Poetry Friday--Antarctic Antics

Yesterday was Antarctic Day, so let's keep it going through Poetry Friday with a book of penguin poetry!

Antarctic Antics: A Book of Penguin Poems is a delightful children's book by Judy Sierra and illustrated by Jose Aruego & Ariane Dewey. It would be a great book to pair with a viewing of the animated movie, Happy Feet [J DVD HAP].


How can you resist a book with so many Emperor Penguins frolicking on the cover? I don't think you can! Open it and enjoy!
Mother Penguin's Vacation

Two months out at sea
Is a penguin's great thrill.
Each evening my dinner
Floats right into my bill.
Oh, I might make a meal
Of a slippery eel.
Or a cod, or a squid.
(Gulp! I think I just did--
I feel a long tentacle
Tickling my ventricle.)
Several shrimp swimming south
Are approaching my mouth--
So I'll just open wide
And invite them inside.
Yes, two months' vacation
Is a penguinish wish.
I've got nothing to do
But slurp squadrons of fish.
I'll grow gorgeously fat,
Then swim home in July,
To sing my new baby
A deep-sea lullaby.

Poet, Judy Sierra, explains the "story behind the book" on her website; click here.

For this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up visit Bridget at Wee Words for Wee Ones.




6 comments:

  1. Such a fun, fishy-feed poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And quite musical with its rhyme and repeated sounds! Fun to read aloud.

      Delete
  2. Love the rhymes, especially tentacle and ventricle. Looks like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This line is my favorite: "Is a penguinish wish."

      Delete
  3. I love Sierra's book - my girls got this as a gift years ago. Thanks for reminding me to pull it off the shelf. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a great number of small poem books, the Library owns quite a few. Maybe I'll feature another soon!

      Delete