Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Poetry Friday--Manger


If you haven't seen the Christmas anthology, Manger [J 811.008 MAN], with poems selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins, I'd say you're in for a treat. From the animals, on the endpapers, illustrated by Helen Cann, to the simple but moving poems throughout, this would be a lovely book to read to a child on Christmas Eve. The premise of the collection is that animals received the gift of speech on the night Christ was born.

I have no doubt that even the youngest child can appreciate this gem of a poem:
Littlest Goat
by Alice Schertle

Donkey pushed in front of me.
I couldn't see at all.
Bossy Sheep said, "Go Outside!
No jumping in the stall!"

But Mary smiled and Joseph rubbed
my muzzle with his staff
when I jumped over Donkey's back
and made the baby laugh.

Before you go off to visit Buffy's Blog for the Poetry Friday Round-Up, I want to wish you love and happiness during this holiday season, and peace and justice in the coming new year!

The Library will be closed Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. See you on Tuesday!

13 comments:

  1. Littlest Goat makes me smile--yes, a kid-friendly poem if ever there was one! Hope your Christmas is merry, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Buffy, and Happy Hanukkah to you!

      Delete
  2. A delight! Enjoy YOUR holiday. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a lovely holiday weekend, Diane, and Happy New Year! (Thanks for sharing MANGER - great book.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a great book, I missed it when it first came in.

      Delete
  4. Great book, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda, same to you! Enjoy this nice weather we're having, too!

      Delete
  5. I'll have to check this one out. Super cute! Happy holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check it out, I love the illustrations! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard about this book till now. It looks like a treasure. Thanks for the heads-up

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cute. Thanks for introducing me to "Manger." May your holidays be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet and lovely poem that captures the joy a family at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete