Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, December 16, 2016

Poetry Friday--Winter Lights

It's a season of lights to counteract the long hours of darkness found at this time of year. Anna Grossnickle Hines, as part of her series of books of poetry illustrated with quilts, wrote Winter Lights: A Season in Poems & Quilts [J 811 HIN].

The amazing thing about the book is the fabric wonders created by the author. This from the jacket flap:
Two of the quilts in the book, "Solstice" and "Star Catcher," each contain 8,450 triangles and took four hundred hours to sew.

The book is also a tribute to cultural diversity of seasonal celebrations and the idea of lighting one's world. Look for the poems titled, "Holiday Magic,""Morning Light," "Solstice," "Small Miracles,""Christmas Path,""Kwanzaa," and "Nian Is Coming."


Text:
A Sight to See

Aurora borealis!
Aurora borealis!
The words ring out
in a joyful shout.
Come see!

Come see
this amazing sight,
the shifting colors,
a billowing curtain
of swirling,
swooping light.

Aurora borealis!
Aurora borealis!
The words slip out
in a whisper.
Wow.

Adults, especially quilters, will enjoy reading the quilt-making processes that Hines employed in illustrating the book; find "Making the Winter Lights Quilts" at the end. With long winter evenings ahead, quilting may be a way for you to while away the hours, if so, we have a treasure trove of quilting books on our shelves.

The Poetry Friday Round-Up is being hosted this week at Tabatha Yeatts: The Opposite of Indifference.

9 comments:

  1. Well, you know I love this book since I just wrote about it, too. The quilts are incredible, I agree. Since my school had a celebration of light each December, I wish I'd know about this when it came out. The poems are very nicely done, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an acquaintance who quilts and loves poetry and I keep thinking I should buy her this book though I don't know her that well.... I may just have to do it anyway! Also, I'd get to peek at it before wrapping it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the connection between quilts and wrapping our world with lights. I have a person in mind who would adore this book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this wonderful book. As a young bride, I learned much about my husband's family stitching with three generations at a quilting frame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh this book is such a beauty! I need to get this for my mother in law! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beauty! I may have to add this book to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing book! So much care went into it. She has one other, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you mention "series"...I should go look up the others!

      Delete
  8. I loved Hines' Peaceful Pieces - so I am definitely on the lookout for this one. I checked our library database, we still don't have it.

    ReplyDelete