Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, January 13, 2017

Poetry Friday--National Hot Tea Month

January is National Hot Tea Month, and yesterday was National Hot Tea Day! In my book, every day is hot tea day, so I'm taking the liberty of celebrating today. Here's a short poem by Eileen Spinelli from Tea Party Today: Poems to Sip and Savor [J 811 SPI].

Delicious

The air's a whiff of minty tea
A froth of cream spills from the sea
The sun is golden soup, so hot
The sky, a big blue porcelain pot
Brown sugar beach is soft and sweet
The day is good enough to eat.

This is a great poem for teachers to use in teaching metaphor, don't you think?

Head over to visit my friend Keri at Keri Recommends. She's hosting the Poetry Friday Round-Up, and, I wouldn't be surprised if she has a pot of tea brewing. Be sure to ask for some honey in that tea!


10 comments:

  1. Yum. This book is right up my alley. Or armchair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    I'm so glad you featured this book and the metaphor poem from it. Eileen Spinelli is one of my most favorite people in the whole world. I love reading her poetry. I just put some tea in the mail to her yesterday. Happy Tea Month.
    Thank you for the Poetry Postcard you sent to me for the New Year Poetry Exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realise it was hot tea month! I celebrated tea in my poem this week too, though for me every month is hot tea month. My mother always believed that most problems could be solved in part by putting the kettle on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't know such a month existed! How wonderful. I can celebrate this month with gusto. And what a delightful poem. Perfect in every way. Thank you. Hugs and high-fives for a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, every day is good for hot tea (maybe even more than once). This book looks delightful, and I am thrilled to learn that hot tea has its own day and month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful poem and holiday! I actually bought five boxes of tea today, so I'm ready to celebrate :-) (There was a sale! What could I do?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just soothed my soul with the thoughts of hot tea and bright words this morning, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding this to my reserves at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found a new tea last week -- Buttermint. Peppermint with a dash of vanilla added. Yum! (I think a brown sugar beach might be my favorite kind!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! I didn't realize it was National Hot Tea Month, but I've been celebrating anyway, since I drink hot tea every day all year round. Delicious poem!

    ReplyDelete