Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, January 06, 2017

Poetry Friday--A Poem from Our Neighbor

The weather has turned really cold again after that brief time of warmth and snow melting earlier in the week. The cold on Thursday night put me in mind of a poem by the poet who lived on a farm up the road in Derry, Robert Frost.

Frost, around 1910.
Good Hours

I had for my winter evening walk--
No one at all with whom to talk,
But I had the cottages in a row
Up to their shining eyes in snow.

And I thought I had the folk within:
I had the sound of a violin;
I had a glimpse through curtain laces
Of youthful forms and youthful faces.

I had such company outward bound.
I went till there were no cottages found.
I turned and repented, but coming back
I saw no window but that was black.

Over the snow my creaking feet
Disturbed the slumbering village street
Like profanation, by your leave,
At ten o’clock of a winter eve.

From North of Boston, published 102 years ago, and on our shelf under 811 FRO.

Linda at Teacher Dance is hosting the Poetry Friday Round-Up. Do stop by!

16 comments:

  1. I know that sound of creaking feet well. He sounds so lonely, outside, cold, and looking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lonely, yes, and what was it that drove him out at such a late hour?

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying all the wintry poems because here down under it is mid summer and hot hot hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine ever being hot again! (Slight exaggeration!)

      Delete
  3. I keep wondering what winter is like as most of poetry friday's poems are about winter. We have no winter where i'm from. Thank you for sharing this poem, i love the first and last stanza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, no winter? Does it cool off somewhat or are your temperatures the same throughout the year?

      Delete
  4. Robert Frost is our treasure, isn't he? I am reminded that he spoke at President John Kennedy's inauguration. Thanks for this lovely poem, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember him reciting at the ceremony, but I wonder if it was me remembering because I saw it on tv, or, do I remember the clip being shown over again throughout the years?

      Delete
  5. When I think of winter, I always think of Robert Frost. What a great poem to share! Happy New Year, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Dust of Snow," is my favorite Frost poem. If you're not familiar with it, click here.

      Delete
  6. Frost does such a good job of capturing winter in his poems. I love the sights and sounds in this one. It makes me want to take a walk in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice dry squeaky snow is always fun!

      Delete
  7. I'm enjoying the contrast between Frost's poem and the Thoreau essay, "A Winter Walk" that I'm sharing this week. So different in tone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting exercise you did in adding the line breaks, Laura!

      Delete
  8. Love this poem, the contrast in the lighted windows and the dark ones at the end. Makes me think I need to take joy while I can, no?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read this poem for the first time recently, and it's fun to see it again. I love the stories in Frost's poems.

    ReplyDelete