Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, May 19, 2017

Poetry Friday--Flower Fairies

Finally, after what seemed like weeks of clouds and rain, the sun came out! Against a backdrop of bright blue skies, the flowering trees and shrubs are gorgeous. It is time for our fairy village wee folk to come back from their winter hiatus, so look forward to seeing them soon.

In anticipation, and in keeping with the abundance of spring flowers, today we'll take a look at The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies by Cicely Mary Barker [821.912 BAR]. The collection is compiled from the books written and illustrated by Barker and published during the period 1923-1985. It includes poems written by Barker, as well as fairy poems from such writers as Robert Herrick and Walter de la Mare.

Owing to epilepsy, Barker, was homeschooled as a child and spent much time alone. This led her to use her imagination. She was also a self-taught artist. Kate Greenaway was one of her influences, as can be seen from her illustrations.

Here's "The Song of the Apple Blossom Fairies" from A Flower Fairy Alphabet:



Kiesha at Whispers from the Ridge will be rounding up the Poetry Friday links this week!

7 comments:

  1. We've had a welcome day of sunshine after a record-breaking stretch of terrible weather, so I share your sunshine joy! I welcome the Apple Blossom Fairies back, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for sunshine! And blossom-babies! (I am completely enamored of those words together!). Thank you for sharing, Diane! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. I believe my grandparents might have had a copy of this book. It looks so familiar and brought back happy memories of snuggling up with my grandfather when he read to me. I'm hoping to see a few blossom babies while working in the yard this weekend! Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the sunshine and all the goodness left behind by flower fairies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the delightful poem, Diane. Blossom babies has a sweet ring to it. I especially liked this poem since I am waiting for the birth of my own spring baby granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter loves this book. I've been enjoying the apple blossoms this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a joyful find! My mother in-law introduced me to this book. I love the mystical elements of the fairy world!

    ReplyDelete