Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Poetry Friday--It's Limerick Day

The master of the limerick, Edward Lear, was born on this day in 1812. What better day to celebrate Limerick Day than on Lear's birthday!


The late Myra Cohn Livingston gathered a collection of limericks that was published back in 1991 and is titled Lots of Limericks [J 821 LOT]. Of course Lear is well-represented! This one of his appeals to me:
There was a Young Lady whose nose
Was so long that it reached to her toes;
     So she hired an Old Lady,
     Whose conduct was steady,
To carry that wonderful nose.

If you're an illustrator, imagine how much fun you could have illustrating it!

You probably remember a time when the name limerick was attached to a poem of "questionable" subject matter. You needn't fear reading the poems in Lots of Limericks out loud to your kids, they are all "clean"!

Tara, at A Teaching Life, will be hosting the Round-Up this week. Be sure to stop by.

9 comments:

  1. Some people think in limericks. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would drive me crazy, Brenda!

      Delete
  2. Limericks are such fun. I can remember reading many of those "questionable" limericks as a teen. It's good to know there are safe collections to share with children so they can have fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, there's plenty to share in Lots of Limericks!

      Delete
  3. Excellent. So glad to find someone recognizing Lear's birthday today... bonus points that it's you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father loved reading "clean" limericks to me as a child. Thank you for bringing back some happy memories! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what fun! I love celebrating little holidays like this! I'm adding it to my library calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Limerick, I love Lear! And it was his birthday too. Thanks for sharing this book, I just added it to my list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete