Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Poetry Friday--World Lindy Hop Day!

Lindy Hop? If you're not familiar with that term, how about jitterbug? Swing dancing?

"Family tree" from lurklurk.org.


Today's the day to celebrate the Lindy Hop (and its variations)! Why May 26? Because it's the birthday of Frankie Manning, the man who popularized the Lindy Hop.

You can see in the clip below from the Marx Brothers film, Day at the Races, the incredible athleticism involved in dancing the Lindy Hop!



Dream Variations
by Langston Hughes

To fling my arms wide
In some place of the sun,
To whirl and to dance
Till the white day is done.
Then rest at cool evening
Beneath a tall tree
While night comes on gently,
       Dark like me--
That is my dream!

To fling my arms wide
In the face of the sun,
Dance! Whirl! Whirl!
Till the quick day is done.
Rest at pale evening...
A tall, slim tree...
Night coming tenderly
       Black like me.

The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes [811 HUG].

Head down to Louisiana where Margaret is hosting the Round-Up at Reflections on the Teche. Perhaps she'll demo a little Cajun dancing on World Lindy Hop Day?

6 comments:

  1. What fun! Thanks for the Langston Hughes poem, the video clip and the education. I didn't know Lindy Hop Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that great clip! Love the Lindy Hop's controlled chaos. I also love that you paired it with "Dream Variations."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to watch the Lindy Hop. And Langston Hughes makes everything seems like a beautiful dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's dance! I'm not sure I can keep up with those in the video, but I can whirl with Hughes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Love the dance family tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun post and interesting contrast between Langston Hughes poem and the wild and crazy lindy hop video.

    ReplyDelete