Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, June 02, 2017

Poetry Friday--Found Ku

I belong to a number of Facebook groups that focus on haiku. Last week the following "found ku" was posted by Norman Darlington:


© Norman Darlington; posted with permission.

Text:

the cook & the gardener
that first time
in a borrowed tent


My co-worker, Elaine, and I found a few ku of our own while we were checking books in and out.


Text:

a fly went by
frog and toad together
...the close shave



Text:

fairest...
the forgotten sisters
happily ever after



Text:

Russian winter--
the nest
good as gone


We probably could have spent our entire desk shift finding little poems amongst the books, but we had customers' returns to check in and books to check out! Amazing how work can both help and hinder the creative process!

If you'd rather read haiku than move books around to find them, borrow The Haiku Anthology: Haiku and Senryu in English, edited by Cor van den Heuvel [811 HAI].

Please stop by Buffy's Blog for the Poetry Friday Round-Up!

9 comments:

  1. These are clever--lucky fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've heard of spine poetry, but I've never tried spine haiku! What a fun challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun. Frog and Toad give such scope for the imagination. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, here is another clever way to pass the time but of course, you are a librarian so you would have access to many more books that I. My collection is vast, so says my husband, so could I turn spine poetry into found ku? Not sure about that. You do it well but what else would I expect from someone who knows her way around a good haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I can see how work might get in the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found spine haiku. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! These are great! Wouldn't it be fun to invite the public to a book spine poetry party at the library? (Except for the massive reshelving at the end— that might not be so fun.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done book spine poems before, but not thinking in haiku. I like these found ku poems. I might have to play around with my bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle has quite an idea! Maybe that would be good for a summer reading program kick off? Looks fun regardless!

    ReplyDelete