Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, June 30, 2017

Poetry Friday--Moon Frog

I found a book I hadn't seen before. I don't know how that could be since we got it back in 2001 (it was published back in 1993)! The new-to-me book is Moon Frog: Animal Poems for Young Children by Richard Edwards, illustrated by Sarah Fox-Davies [J 821 EDW]. The minute I pulled it off the shelf, I fell in love with it. Look at this cover:


And here's the title poem:
Moon Frog

The moon slid down the sky,
The froggy whispered, "Soon,
If only it comes close enough,
I'll leap onto the moon."

The moon slid lower still,
The froggy paused, then--hop!
His long legs launched him at the moon
And landed him on top.

The moon sailed smoothly on
Along its starry course,
With froggy proudly riding
Like a jockey on a horse.
I wish the poem were a wee bit longer--there's more to froggy's story that remains to be told!

That's all for today! Visit Random Noodling for this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up! Have a safe and happy Independence Day holiday!



9 comments:

  1. Oh my, the poem and the cover are really beautiful, Diane. This one is new to me, will look for it! (Glad you found it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable poem and cover. What a surprise to find an undiscovered treat waiting for you on the shelf. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this find! It inspires me to write some moon poems. Off I go to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous cover--and a fun poem. It reminds me of a cloud I saw this week that looked like a fire-breathing frog. I suspect my cloud frog and this moon frog would get along fabulously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just ordered Moon Frog from a nearby library. Yeah! Love discovering new/old books. I think you should extend "Moon Frog!" -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I love discovering new-to-me books in the library, there are just so many treasures to be uncovered in the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a fun book--will have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun poem and book, I'd like to check it out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one I should get to read to my grandbaby. Thanks, Diane.

    ReplyDelete