Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, July 28, 2017

Poetry Friday--Charlotte Zolotow

Children's book writer, Charlotte Zolotow, the beloved author of Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present [JP ZOL], The Bunny Who Found Easter [JP ZOL], and dozens of other picture books, was also a children's poet.

She passed away at the age of 98 back in 2013. On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of her birth, Changes: A Child's First Poetry Collection [J 811.54] was published. The "Introduction" was written by her daughter, Crescent Dragonwagon, and the lively illustrations are the work of Tiphanie Beeke.


The poems follow the seasons after beginning with the opening poem, "Change." Here's a fine little poem from the summer verses:
A Moment in Summer

A moment in summer
belongs to me
and one particular
honey bee.
A moment in summer
shimmering clear
making the sky
seem very near,
a moment in summer
belongs to me.

A little reminiscent of Emily Dickinson, don't you think?

Head over to the Poetry Friday Round-Up being held at A Word Edgewise and then go off to capture your own moment of summer!

6 comments:

  1. I've collected several of her books, just recently found The Storm Book. This is lovely, all that needs said. Thanks, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is reminiscent of Dickinson. It's reasonable to assume she read Dickinson and perhaps was writing an homage. What a great name, Crescent Dragonwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that particular honey bee....love it! Wonderful poem. I don't know this collection. I must go find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds like a lovely book, and I always liked Charlotte Zolotow, I'm adding it to my to look for book list. Thanks Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed some of her books, but her poetry is new to me. What a lovely summer poem.

    ReplyDelete